Monday, March 29, 2010

A taste of honey - in the form of mead

Though I've had a few postings here about mead, I'd yet to taste some - until Saturday night.
I opened the chilled bottle and let it breathe, and then poured a small glass. The first thing that strikes you about a glass of mead - at least this one, HoneyRun Mead, Ragnar's Reserve - is that, yes, it still smells like honey. I wasn't sure what things to expect, but that certainly wasn't one of them, surprisingly.
The label says it's dry, but dry is relative (those who drink Champagne know that Extra Dry is actually not as dry as Brut). This was a bit sweet, and it wasn't what I expected from dry. I wasn't sure it would pass my admittedly low muster. But I did a quick review of what-goes-with-what, and realized that for me to gain the full effect, the mead needed a good partner. In this case, the spiciest thing I had on hand was salsa. Out came the salsa and some chips - and, lo and behold, a great combination.
In short, mead ain't wimpy, and needs a good, strong, complementary partner.
The store where I usually buy my wine had only two bottles of mead in stock, including the one mentioned above. But interestingly enough, the manager told me that she just had a tasting from a distributor and that they hope to carry more mead soon. Looks like a long, sweet (or dry) learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment